YOUTH CHANGING THE WORLD
- Where do the projects take place?
In the Southeast region of India, in rural villages.
- Is there a deadline for registration?
The registration deadline is February 2015 for schools that wish to finish the project by the end of the school year. It is possible to register after this date, however we cannot guarantee the school will receive the commemorative plaque before the end of the school year.
- What happens when we register?
When we receive the registration form, we send you an acknowledgement by e-mail and we inform our India team so they can begin the project. A school’s registration is a commitment on its part to complete the project.
- What happens if we collect the money without being registered?
If your school has raised funds without registering, you can send us the funds and you will receive the commemorative plaque as soon as we are able to complete the project in India.
- What do we do if we have extra money?
If you collect more money than the necessary amount for your project, you can allocate it to another one of our programs.
- Can relatives get a charity receipt?
When requested, we send charity receipts for donations over $15.00. We just need the donor’s full name, mailing address and the amount of the donation. Usually, we send the charity receipts in February.
- How to send the money?
The best way is to write a cheque to SOPAR-Bala Vikasa and send it to:
SOPAR, 1 Chemin des Érables, Gatineau Qc J8V 1C1.
- When will we receive the plaque?
Schools that registered before February will receive their plaque by June 15th, 2015.
- Can we have a photo of our project?
Yes, we can send you a digital photo by email.
- Can we communicate with people in the village where we did our project?
Generally, the villages where we work are in remote locations and do not have access to the Internet.
ABOUT THE WELLS:
- What is the cost of a well?
The cost of a well is $850 CAD. The villagers will add a local contribution of up to 15% of the total sum. For SOPAR-Bala Vikasa this local contribution is a key in involving communities and ensuring sustainable development.
- How many villages need a well?
In Andhra Pradesh, there are approximately 30 000 villages and more than half of them have no access to drinking water.
- How many families can use the well?
Generally, wells benefit 40 to 60 families (150 to 300 individuals).
- How long will the new well last?
The life of a well depends on the quantity of water available in the water table and this varies from one place to the other according to population, demand and geographic conditions. In general a well will last for 10-15 years.
- What distances do women and children travel to fetch water?
Often, the first water source is located 1 or 2 kilometres outside of the village. In the worst cases, water sources can be more than 4 kilometres away.
ABOUT CLASSROOM FURNITURE:
- What is the cost of equipping a classroom with desks and benches?
To equip a class for 30 to 50 pupils the cost is $800 CAD. This sum includes desks, benches, delivery and installation.
- How do long will the desks and benches last?
SOPAR-Bala Vikasa will ensure that quality furniture will be installed in the classroom in order to make a lasting difference and so as many students as possible can benefit.
- How many students are in a classroom?
There are approximately 45-50 students per classroom. This varies from a school to another.